31.8.08

Should I start my 4 year old in Kindergarten? Turns 5 in December...

I have a 4 year old girl who will be turning 5 exactly in December of this year. She is excited to start kindergarten although she will be one of the smallest and youngest. Her preschool teachers all say she is both academically and socially ready although still a little on the immature side at times. She still has a few months at least before September. Should I worry about teasing? I don't want to hold her back, but some are telling me that would be the better thing to do. I don't think so.

I taught kindergarten for years, and I would recommend waiting. I know you are leaning toward going ahead, and I know you will do what is best. I cannot say I have met too many Kindergartners with December birthdays that were ready. Imagine her at 15, when all her friends are 16 going on 17 and they are all in the same high school class. Rather than worrying about teasing now, worry about peer pressure she’ll have to face when she is much younger than the other teens. She would go away to college at 17 and not become 18 till the end of the first semester.

You also run the risk of retention if it is maturity and that is another issue. Maturity is the one thing that cannot be taught. Give her the gift of time. She will only be 1-2 months older than many of the other kids, since many will have late December, January, February birthdays if she waits and goes with the children closer to her age. Also, California is one of only a very few number of states that allow children the option of starting this early. Most states ask that children turn 5 by the first day of school, and some states require them to turn 5 by June before school starts.

It is always better to be the oldest in school. Less peer pressure, less academic worries...and you get to keep your little four year old close to home then let her go off to college when she is 18 rather than 17.

I still know only the parents know the child and the decision is best made by you.

No comments:

Stat Counter